Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sort of Healthy Enchiladas

Before you read this post, I have to give you this disclaimer - I am not a photographer. My house was not furnished by an interior designer. I live with two creatures called sons, who wipe their dirty hands on everything, leave legos strewn about and yell a lot. So, these are by no means good photos and my house looks like a mess. This particular night, I needed an easy meal, with stuff I could get at Trader Joe's (my one stop for the day) and cheated by buying ready-cooked chicken (damn you, Trader Joe's for not having rotisserie chickens!). With that said, please enjoy the recipe! (Oh, and I forgot to take a photo of the finished dish, but ya'll know what enchiladas look like, right?)

I came across this recipe on Pinterest (I know, surprise, right?!). What I liked about this recipe is that it had some added veggies and looked like a good freezable meal. Knowing my hubby's taste buds, I added a few changes. 


My messy kitchen

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas 
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Enchilada Sauce (I cheated and used a bottle from Trader Joe's)
1/2 a small can of salsa verde
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups corn (I used canned)

Oven roasted Chicken Breasts, chopped (about a pound)
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped

3 tbs. minced garlic
2 tsp. cumin
3 cups shredded 3 cheese blend (or pepper jack, etc.)
8 whole wheat or flour tortillas

***The original recipe called for making your own enchilada sauce, which I intended to do but ran out of time. Vegetable Broth was for the enchilada sauce which I didn't make.




Directions
Saute the spinach and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until slightly wilted. 


In a large bowl, combine chopped chicken, beans, 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, 2 tsp. cumin, and cilantro.

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom. Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.

Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions (optional).




No comments:

Post a Comment

© Miss Momvocate. Powered by