Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Most Amazing Dipping Sauce You Will Make

There's this sauce - I won't say the name - but it is simply amazing. AH-Freaking-mazing. It's so good, that I will drive to a damn farmer's market with two bat-sh*t crazy boys and stock up. It's THAT good. It's also expensive. And, inconvenient. So, slowly, it became a special rare treat. And, now, if I know one of my friend's is going to the farmers market, I make them buy it for me. Oops, my bad, I just tattled on myself. Many of my peeps in San Diego probably know what sauce I speak of.

But, low and behold, I came across someone else cuckoo cachoo for it like I am. And, they live in another city (it's only available in SD). So, in THEIR desperation, they worked on creating a dupe recipe. They claimed that they had nailed it. So, because they spent all that time recreating it, I thought to myself, "I'll be the judge of that!". So, I gathered some of my best girlfriends and we made a double batch and taste tested it out.


My friend and almond supplier, Rian, and my boys (plus one wonky sea horse)


The verdict? Absolutely nailed it. So. Damn. Good. I've been eating it everyday. EVERY DAY people. And, my hubby? He likes it, too. Which is saying something since he's pretty much averse to anything new. Trust me, it's worth your time to make it.

What makes this sauce, well, um, awesome sauce? If you are a hummus fan, you will love it. It's similar, but it's made from almonds. It's got a bit of a bite (well, maybe since I doubled the garlic) and a little after note of lemon. Best thing about it is that nothing in it is bad for you. NOTHING. No, really. I no lie.

There are a few ingredients which are not traditional pantry items, like nutritional yeast and Braggs Liquid Aminos. Trust me, invest in them. I'll put a little after note about how I use these items in other ways. If you have a Sprouts, you can find these items there. I'm sure Whole Foods has them, too. Seriously, buy them. You can thank me later. 

Give the sauce a try. You can even blend in some chipotles (see below for add ins) and use it on fish tacos or on a rice bowl with grilled chicken, diced avocados, black beans, tomatoes and corn. Oh my lordy, so delish. You can serve it with veggies and chips. Bring it to a hen party. You'll be the talk of the town. 

Awesome Sauce Recipe
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. of water
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. of grapeseed oil
1/2 cup of raw almonds
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp. of  nutritional yeast **
2 cloves of garlic (of 5 if you're like me and love garlic)
2 tsp. of bragg liquid aminos **
1/2 tsp. of himalyan pink salt
1/2 tsp. of cumin
1/2 tsp. of chili powder
1/4 tsp. of coriander
1/4 tsp. of paprika



Place all of the ingredients in a powerful blender (I used my VitaMix). Slowly blend for one minute. Blend on high and continue to blend for 1-2 minutes or until you reach a smooth and creamy texture. Store in the fridge. If sauce separates, stir. 

**I already had these ingredients in my pantry. But, if you don't, you can probably find them at your local health food store or Whole Foods. Braggs also makes fabulous Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, so you'll most likely find their Liquid Aminos in the same aisle. You can use it it in place of soy sauce or spray on most anything that would taste good with soy sauce in it. The nutritional yeast is also pretty yummy on popcorn or sprinkled on pasta. 


The end product + 2 carrots. Like a bunny buried at the beach. Mob style.

AND, if you want to try it with Chipotle, here you go...Gather all the ingredients to make awesome sauce and add:
1 chipotle in adobo sauce (not 1 can, 1 chipotle people)
1/4 cup onion
1 tsp. vinegar


No comments:

Post a Comment

© Miss Momvocate. Powered by