Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lighter Beef Pad-Thai

Last week I shared that the hubster and I are trying to cook lighter dinner entrees. We have really stepped out of our comfort zone of heavier pastas, potato and rice laden dishes and embraced more things like spaghetti squash and cauliflower based selections. We have been sticking with this challenge pretty religiously for the last month. Much to our surprise, we have really enjoyed many of our new selections!

One of Dave's favorite new dishes is this lighter version of Pad Thai. Rather than using the traditional rice noodles, this recipe uses spaghetti squash. While it requires a little more prep work, it is very delish!

Another switch-a-roo this recipe calls for is PB2. Have any of you tried it? It's powdered peanut butter that contains 85% less fat calories than your traditional peanut butter. I had to order it from Amazon.com, but, I think I'm going to try and use it in more recipes so it's a good investment in my opinion!



Again, I totally forgot to take a photo of the finished product. Soooowww-rrrryyyy! I basically was so hungry, I shlepped it in a bowl and dug in! But, trust me, it's yummo! And, to get a two thumbs up from hubby is huge! Hubby approved stamp of approval!

Well, let's get down to the nitty gritty...

Clearly, I make it a point NOT to include all of the ingredients in 1 photo because that would make TOO much sense.

Lighter Beef Pad-Thai
Adapted slightly from www.sandyskitchenadventures.com

What You'll Need 
3 1/2 cups of cooked spaghetti squash
1 cup of shredded/chopped cabbage
1 1/2 to 2 lb. boneless flat sirloin steak tips (or similar)
1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
4 Tbs. PB2 Powdered Peanut Buter
1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbs. red cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp minced garlic
dash of red pepper flakes

Optional garnishes
2 Tbs. dry roasted peanuts, chopped
Chopped cilantro



The How To
Preheat your oven to 375. Cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise. Scoop out seeds, being careful to leave the flesh. Place cut side up in a casserole dish or baking sheet. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked. Let cool before scooping out fleshy noodles. Set aside.

We like our meat

In a small bowl, combine beef broth, powdered peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Set aside.

Season your steak. I used Montreal Steak Seasoning. I prefer to let my steak sit out a bit (about an hour) before I cook it. Grill (or cook however you prefer, I used a grill pan) your steak. Set aside to rest and cut after giving it some time.

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray (I use my Misto). Add spaghetti squash, cabbage and sauce. Heat over medium heat until warmed through and cabbage is slightly wilted. Add beef. Garnish and serve!



Makes 3-4 GENEROUS servings.






No comments:

Post a Comment

© Miss Momvocate. Powered by