Tuesday, April 30, 2013

No Bake Energy Bites


I came across this recipe on good ol' Pinterest and thought I'd make them to see if I could get some flax and chia seed into my older son by way of sneakery. It didn't work, BUT I thought they were mighty tasty! Good enough to replace my nightly piece of See's Candy. Say what?! 




I have to admit...I am a sweets addict. I cannot end my day without a little bit of chocolate. If I don't have it, I lie awake in bed and then sneak downstairs after the kids go to sleep. I keep a stash in the cupboards behind the sippy cups. I purposefully buy dark chocolate, knowing my husband doesn't like it, just so I don't have to share with him. I am a regular at See's Candy. I know the hours of all my favorite bakeries. The owner of our local Toll House and I are on a first name basis (Hi, Mitch!). I often times tell my kids we are getting special treats for them when I'm hankering for something with loads of sugar. I think that one of the best thing about having kids is buying fun and sugary snacks. AND, it's pathetic because I am pretty good about everything else. But, screw it! I love me some sugar! Pour some sugar on me! (Def Leppard fan, anyone? ANYONE?)

So, it really surprised me that these healthy (ok, mostly healthy) little schwetty ball nuggets (I couldn't help it, it's much more fun to call them that) satisfied my night sweet tooth. And, with Summer creeping up on us, it's great that you don't have to fire up the oven. Give it a try! I think next time I'll use unsweetened coconut flakes, almond butter and maybe cocoa nibs. Maybe. Probably not. 




Schwetty Ball Nuggets (a.k.a. No Bake Energy Bites)
adapted from Smashed Peas and Carrots

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 tbs chia seeds
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes 18-21 schwetty balls. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Miss Momvocate. Powered by